Tuesday, December 19, 2006

French Bread

French Bread

Because there was no bread did Marie Antoinette really say "let them eat cake"?

I believe the consensus is that she did not say that sometime before the French Revolution, but the French certainly love their bread be it baguette or all the other choice shapes that are available.

I have to say that there is nothing to beat a fresh baguette from the Boulagerie with a liberal coating of fresh butter from the market.

This photograph was taken in a market town in the Pyrenees.

3 comments:

Lisi said...

I absolutely agree about the fresh bread and butter...the funny thing is, when having meal in France, we are given bread but most of the time not butter, while both are provided in most other countries I've been to...

Wilf James said...

You are quite right Lisi, when you get bread with your meal in a restaurant if you want butter you have to ask for it, which now i normally do not do - I jst enjoy it the French way.

However when I go to buy our bread and I get the butter fresh from the market then that's when I love the combination - only as a small snack you understand!

Deb said...

A very tasty photo!